I have rediscovered pasta salads. I don't know why I'd forgotten about them. If you think about it, any sort of pasta salad is the perfect lunch! You can add protein and veggies, and you've got pasta! There are vinaigrette type dressings, mayo based dressings, the sky's the limit...
I took a macaroni salad to our staff Christmas Party. It was the classic macaroni salad. The only change I made to the recipe was to add sharp cheddar.
American Macaroni Salad
From Food Network Kitchens
Inactive Prep Time:
• 2 cups dry elbow macaroni, cooked, rinsed, and drained
• 1/3 cup diced celery
• 1/4 cup minced red onion, soaked in cold water for 5 minutes, drained
• 1 tablespoon minced flat-leaf parsley
• 1/2 cup diced vine-ripened tomato (optional)
• 1/2 cup prepared mayonnaise
• 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
• 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
• 1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
• 3 tablespoons sour cream
• 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
• Freshly ground black pepper
In a large bowl combine the macaroni, celery, onion, parsley and tomato, if using. In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, sugar, vinegar, sour cream and salt. Pour the dressing over the salad and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve. Store covered in the refrigerator, for up to 3 days.