Skip to main content

Clayton, NM

Clayton, NM Current mood: cranky
I mean no disrespect to the fine folks who live and work in Clayton, NM......but with that said, I'd like to relate the story of my stay in captivity there.....
We managed to get one of the last few rooms at the downtown Clayton Super8 Motel. I think Super8 rooms deserve their own ranking system. We had stayed in a Super8 the last time we made this drive. I think they use a chain-wide air freshener called "Institutional Citrus/Dirty Feet." The room was fairly clean and tastefully decorated in the always charming "motel shabby/chic" style, complete with stirring paintings of mountains and wildlife on the walls.
We started getting hungry so our thoughts turned to dinner. We decided we didn't want to drive the truck, so we limited our focus to the options within walking distance of our stylish lodgings. The sign out front of the Super8 highly recommended Pop's Drive-In, conveniently located right next door to the hotel. We had found our next meal!!!!
Pop's Drive-In was a Sonic knock-off. Everything was fried- I mean everything. By the time we carried our bag of food less than 100 yards back to the hotel, the grease had almost soaked through the bottom of the bag. The outcome of this meal was our vow to eat no more fast food on the trip. This vow became a bit harder to keep the next day, when we learned that the roads were still not open. We would be experiencing the hospitality in Clayton yet another night.
One thing I've neglected to mention about Clayton, NM, is that it always smells like horse crap. I have no idea why. I saw no horses. It was like they built the roads out of it or something.
The next morning, we slept in and decided to go walk around and soak up some local flavor. By this time, to preserve my sanity, I had decided to consider this an extra little winter vacation. Never mind the fact that all my earthly belongings were freezing solid in the back of a 17 foot Uhaul truck.
We walked up the street and checked out the local grocery store, called the ranch something or other. I don't remember. It was fairly non-descript, except for the lady in the back cranking out fresh tortillas. They looked really good.
We then crossed the street to the Pizza Hut for some lunch (I know, we had made the vow, but there is no Fresh Market in Horsecrap, NM). We did eat some of the salad bar stuff. We also had some pretty nasty pizza. We recognized several people who were being held prisoner in our same hotel. No one looked very happy about the situation.
That night we dined in our room on frozen Asian entrees we purchased at the Ranch market. As gross as it was, it was still better than fried whatever at Pop's.
On the dawning of the third day, we had gathered some intelligence data and decided to make a break for it using an alternate route. It was bittersweet bidding farewell to Clayton....I will remember it always.


Popular posts from this blog

Carrot Cake!!!!!!

I made my very first ever from scratch homemade cake at 7,500 feet above sea level today. I have made many homemade cakes before, but that was back home in Savannah, which is practically 2 feet below sea level.

After many dismal failures (including box mixes) I have finally made a cake from scratch that turned out decent. No- better than decent. I think this is the best cake I've ever made. No joke.

It all started when my fried Emmy posted on her blog about receiving as a gift from her hubby, a copy of "The Joy of Cooking." By the way, you should go read her blog. She is nauseatingly multi-talented. She cooks and knits beautifully, as well as a bunch of other stuff I learn about every freakin' time I read her blog. So go over to her blog right now.

Anyhoo...she read the high altitude instructions and cranked out a beautiful red velvet cake that made me drool. After reading that, I decided it was time to stop being a wuss about baking at high altitude and try a…

Sunday Love...

This is what Sunday morning looked like at our house. I was inspired by some beautiful strawberries I bought at the store yesterday, so I wanted to make a special breakfast.

What says "I Love You" more than a stack of hot, homemade buttermilk pancakes???

Well, I'll tell you what. A stack of hot, homemade buttermilk Strawberries Romanoff Pancakes with Brown Sugar-Sour Cream Sauce. That's what.

A very good friend of mine from back home in Savannah, Jared, sent me for an engagement gift a year subscription to "Southern Living" magazine. He explained that he didn't want me to "forget how to be Southern." Although it is doubtful that I will EVER not be Southern, it was a very sweet gift. And I must admit I was so excited the day it landed in our mailbox that I had to fight every instinct in my Southern body not to plop on the couch right then and there and read it cover to cover and commit it to memory.

In the April 2009 issue of "Southern L…

Gouda Mac and Cheese

IMG_1102, originally uploaded by All Things Mimi. Dev loves gouda cheese.
We had a hunk of it in our fridge.
So...I decided to make mac and cheese out of it.
Unfortunately, I wasn't going by a recipe, so I can't tell you exactly how I did it. I can give you a blow by blow, but that's about it.
I started by sauteeing an onion in olive oil and butter (if I had to guess at amounts, I'd say maybe a couple of tablespoons of butter and one tablespoon of olive oil). Oh- and I started boiling the elbow pasta. I boiled about half a pound of pasta for 8 minutes, then drained it.
Back at the cheese sauce...
After the onions had softened (about maybe 5 minutes), I added flour. How much? I have no idea- maybe a quarter cup? I let it cook like a roux for about 5 minutes. I added a little salt and a few drops of hot sauce at this point. I had managed to eek 2 cups of dairy liquid out of my fridge- I had about 1/2 cup of 2% milk, about 1 cup of half and half and maybe 1/2 cup of white wine. …